At our last Emu Plains market, I met a lady who looked no more than in her early 40’s. She bought the Nursery & Toy cleaner and I assumed it’s for her child but no……it’s for a grand daughter! Her eldest child is already 32 years old and just had a baby girl. I was like “No WAY you’re a grandma! What’s your secret to looking so young!”
She didn’t skip a beat and said “Simple. Lotsa Veg and Live happy.” After a short pause, she winked and said “I also love to party.” She’s my kinda woman!
She’s living proof that you don’t need to torture yourself with diets or fancy burn-a-hole-in-pocket miracle creams to glow with forever youth. Just simple Veg & Happiness. Sounds so achievable doesn’t it?
If you’re after a veg dish that is packed with flavours & vitamins plus fills you up as a main meal, here’s a simple to make one-pot vegetable curry dish you can make in 20 minutes.
You can add your own preferred variety of hardy vegetables eg. sweet potatoes, broccoli, pumpkin or whatever is in season! This is really a throw it in one pot kinda dish so don’t stress over the following recipe to the T.
And oh, it goes really well with a nice glass of easy-drinking red wine 😉
One-Pot Vegetable Curry (adapted from Chef Wan’s Simply Sedap Recipe)
- 1/4 cup oil
- 1/2 teaspoon cumins seeds
- 2 Red chillies, chopped
- 1 cm ginger, peeled & sliced
- 3 cloves chopped garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon powdered turmeric (I added 1/2 teaspoon as I love turmeric and it has loads of health benefits)
- 1 tablespoon powdered coriander
- 1 cup tomato puree or passata
- 2 carrots chopped (I’m often lazy too peel them if they’re from a reliable organic source)
- 2 potatoes diced
- 1/2 head of cauliflower
- Handful of French beans
- 2 tomatoes roughly chopped
- Handful (or more!) of chopped fresh coriander
- Heat the oil and sauté the cumin seeds, onion and chillies in a casserole dish for 3 mins (I used the chinese sand-claypot. Makes a nice rustic serving dish for your one-pot dishes.)
- Add ginger, garlic, powdered turmeric, coriander and fry till fragrant. Mix in tomato puree and cook for 5 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables and cook for another 3 mins.
- Add tomatoes, coriander leaves, salt. Cook over low heat until vegetables are tender.
Serve with basmati rice or naan bread & greek yoghurt on the side.