Need some good, wholesome comfort food to cope with this crazy Melbourne weather?
Kavisha Jega has kindly contributed her delicious Apple, Coconut And Thyme Crumble With Coconut Sauce recipe!
6 large apples
1 cup of filtered water
½ Tablespoon cinnamon
2 cups of almond meal
1/4 cup of chopped macadamias
½ cup chopped pecans
½ cup of shredded coconut
1 teaspoon of vanilla powder or essence
1 Tablespoon of chia seeds
1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
¼ teaspoon of ground nutmeg
⅓ cup of maple syrup
⅓ cup of coconut oil (melted)
Pinch sea salt
2 Tablespoons thyme leaves (optional)
1 can coconut cream
2 Tablespoons coconut sugar
Pinch sea salt
– Heat all ingredients together in a small saucepan over a low heat. Mix until well combined. Pour sauce into a jar and store in the freezer to chill.
*Coconut sauce is optional. You could instead serve this crumble with vanilla ice cream or coconut yoghurt.
- Pre-heat oven to 180°C.
- Peel, core and slice the apples. Place them in a large saucepan along with 1 cup of water, ½ tablespoon cinnamon over a medium heat. Cover and let simmer for 10 minutes, then remove the lid and continue to simmer for at least another 10 minutes or until the apples are soft.
- Empty the stewed apples into a baking dish and then set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the almond meal, chopped macadamias, chopped pecans, shredded coconut, vanilla, chia seeds, cinnamon, nutmeg, maple syrup, coconut oil and thyme. Once combined, spoon it all over the top of the stewed fruit.
- Place dish back in the oven and bake for approximately 30 minutes or until the crumble is golden.
*This crumble mixture also makes a great bliss balls! Simply roll the crumble mixture into balls and store in the fridge.